Skip to main content

Imbolc 2020 in Pictures

Imbolc Candles It’s been one full turn of the Wheel of the Year for me and this blog. I plan to discuss all the sabbats again in 2020, but rather than repeat last year’s format, I’m trying something new. If you’re interested to know the history, science, and common modern approaches to Imbolc, as well as how I fumbled my way through my first-ever Pagan holiday, check out last year’s Imbolc post. This year, I’m sharing my experiences of the sabbats in pictures.

Imbolc Bunting

I decorated for Imbolc with handmade fabric bunting. I’m actually in the process of making one of these buntings for every sabbat. I chose white and gold for Imbolc; the internet suggests white, gold, yellow, orange, and red as appropriate Imbolc colors, but I feel like that’s a bit much for this snowy and sedate holiday. I chose white for snow and yellow/gold as a reminder of the returning light.

Imbolc Lights

I also put up some decorative lights. I think it’s silly that HOAs and nosy neighbors insist that people take down their “Christmas” lights when the nights are still long and cold. I like to leave some up until spring, at least inside. I associate colorful lights with Yule but I think white ones are really nice for Imbolc.

Imbolc Dinner

Last year I tried to make a special dinner for each sabbat. I’m doing that this year, too. My Imbolc meal incorporated dairy foods and winter veggies again: I served quiche with onions, roasted root vegetables seasoned with dried herbs, buttered bread, and white wine.

Imbolc Pie and Bananas

I had this idea that there’s probably a perfect pie for every sabbat (stay tuned). For Imbolc, I combined dairy and the tropical fruit that’s in season somewhere to get banana cream pie. I’d never made banana cream pie before. In fact, I’d never made anything like it; this was the first time I made merengue and the first time I made custard. Here it is before baking. It certainly looked pretty.

Imbolc Pie

And here it is baked and served. It came out pretty good! I don’t think banana cream pie is my favorite but I’m glad I tried making it.

Imbolc Raggmunk

Because Imbolc fell on a weekend, I was able to extend my celebration a little with a second special dinner. My partner had recently returned from a business trip to Sweden and wanted to try making raggmunk, which is basically potato pancakes served with bacon (turkey bacon in our case) and lingonberry preserves. I was amused that the place to get lingonberry preserves in Canada is apparently IKEA.

Imbolc Altar

Finally, I refreshed my altar for Imbolc. The light green altar cloth I made was looking a bit dusty and I’d always planned to make more for different seasons, anyway. I was originally going to make a white one for Imbolc season but I found this blue and white fabric in my stash that seemed perfect: the pattern of the weave looks like tiny Brigid’s crosses!

Of course there was more to my Imbolc than pretty objects and delicious food. I just thought it might be fun to focus on this one element of what makes holidays special. How do you celebrate Imbolc? Do you have particular decorations you display or food you serve? What traditions have you built around the holiday?

Comments