Skip to main content

Lughnasadh 2020 in Pictures

Lughnasadh Flowers

At Lughnasadh, the Rudbeckia fulgida in my garden reaches peak bloom, putting on an impressive display of bright yellow flowers. The Aesclepius incarnata is going strong, and the Echinacea pallida still has a few flowers. It’s a lovely time of year in the garden, and a lovely time to sit outdoors and enjoy it (especially because the mosquitoes aren’t so bad this late in the summer).

I’d hoped to throw a (secular) Lughnasadh celebration for friends where we played outdoor games like catch, frisbee, and cornhole, but of course, that wasn’t an option this year. Instead, I celebrated by cooking with my partner, just like I did for the previous 2020 sabbats.

Lughnasadh Dinner

We made a seasonally-appropriate meal: grilled chicken with herb lime marinade, pasta with pesto made from our garden basil, grilled zucchini and summer squash, and a summery beer.

Lughnasadh Pie

This sabbat’s pie was bumbleberry (blackberry and raspberry), which we served with vanilla ice cream.

Lughnasadh Torch

We ate out on the patio and enjoyed the sights, sounds, and smells of a summer evening. After dinner, I attended John Beckett’s online Lughnasadh ritual.

I felt distressed about the state of the world and wasn’t in much of a celebratory mood, but I’m glad I marked the occasion anyway.


Comments