Skip to main content

Samhain 2020 in Pictures

Samhain Bunting I took and edited photos for Samhain 2020 but didn't write up a blog post at the time, so this is back-dated. I apparently did a decent job taking photos but I definitely wasn't feeling very celebratory.

The cover image is the bunting I made as a Samhain decoration, displayed on Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquifolia) turning colour for autumn. When they're not being photographed, the seasonal buntings hang above the living room window; you can see this one in place in the next pic.

Samhain Candles Samhain table décor. These hand-decorated candleholders were a favour from a friend's wedding a long time ago. I use them all autumn long.

Samhain PumpkinsSamhain pumpkins. We didn't carve these ones, so they lasted a while. The garden flag was a present from my sister, who gave me a bunch of seasonal garden flags after hearing my collection was pretty lacking. I love it!

Samhain ColoursThis is what the trees looked like at Samhain. They were pretty close to peak all over town, although there was still a fair amount of green out my window.

Samhain Dinner Samhain dinner was vegetarian chili and bread. Definitely nothing fancy, but chili is an enjoyable meal when it's cold out. The beer is from Collective Arts Brewing, a local brewery that decorates its cans with art by all different artists. I picked a spooky can for Samhain.

Samhain Pie Dessert was pumpkin pie, which is one of my favourites. I thought it came out extremely well. There's an empty cider jug in the background because we made hot mulled cider; I think the bottle of ginger ale is only there because it wouldn't fit in the fridge and has nothing to do with Samhain dinner.

Samhain TVEvery Samhain, I watch Over the Garden Wall while Brandon answers the door to trick-or-treaters. There weren't any trick-or-treaters this year, though. And Over the Garden Wall was disappointing because I had streaming problems and had to keep waiting for it to buffer. Sigh.

Samhain Jack o LanternsOur jack-o-lanterns. I made the loon and Brandon made the bats. I thought they both came out especially well this year.

I was planning to attend an online Samhain ritual but I just...forgot, I guess. And then didn't feel motivated to watch it later, even though it would have been perfectly appropriate to do so. I definitely felt pretty down at Samhain and had a hard time mustering the energy to have any kind of seasonal celebration at all.

Comments