Skip to main content

Midsummer 2021

Solstice Sunrise 1

I celebrated the summer solstice by getting up at sunrise and going to a park overlooking the city to watch the sunrise. I know I said I wasn't going to focus so much on photos going forward but my photos of the solstice sunrise over the city are so magical that they might actually be worth 1,000 words.

I think I have a good eye for composition but the scenery did all the hard work. They're presented here in chronological order. Can you see why I love the place where I live?

Solstice Sunrise 2Solstice Sunrise 3Solstice Sunrise 4Solstice Sunrise 5Solstice Sunrise 6Solstice Sunrise 7

I didn't go back to sleep again this year so it was a surreally long day (I do not normally get up at sunrise).

Summer Solstice Dinner

Midsummer dinner was Cobb salad, homemade bread, and beer, enjoyed on the patio, of course. It was a bit of a puppy-training/neighbour-kid-managing session rather than a relaxing dinner but it was still pleasant. I was going to make a strawberry-rhubarb pie like last year but didn't get around to it yet. I don't consider my Midsummer celebration over, though! I see pie in my future, and ritual: probably of my own design this time.

Echinacea pallida

I continue to work on cultivating a regular spiritual practice. It's hard! Sometimes it feels like I have no motivation; other times it feels like I have no time. And sometimes I'm doing really well and then something comes along that just derails everything (a puppy, a family crisis...). I guess the trick isn't to achieve perfection but to keep picking things up and trying again after every setback, right?

Comments