Skip to main content

The Spiral Path

Milkweed

I wanted to start blogging again, but as I forced myself to draft something, all I could think was, “I can’t see how to get where I want to go. Opportunities are passing me by. I’ve lost my connections to things that used to sustain me. I feel old and worn out. I don’t want to feel old. I can reconnect to things that are important to me, right? There’s no way I’ve missed all my chances. It’s okay that I can’t see the way forward. I know I just need to start, but it’s so hard. It seems as though I keep dragging myself back to the same starting line.”


Red Leaves

That didn’t sound like much of a blog post, but it immediately put me in mind of a song I’d forgotten. The song says exactly what I was thinking far more eloquently than I could. I particularly like the line, “Forget the ghosts that make you old before your time.” I don’t think I qualify as “old” yet by any reasonable standard, but when I’m troubled by memories from the recent past, I can’t summon enthusiasm or hope, and the “before times” seem like a lifetime ago, I feel old. The fact that someone wrote a song about wrestling with this kind of despair reminds me that I’m not alone.



Leaf with Holes

I’ve updated the blog tagline to “walking the spiral path in 2023.” The spiral path is a common concept in modern Paganism: the idea that we progress through cycles, like the Wheel of the Year, returning but never repeating. I feel like I’m starting over – this blog, my spiritual practice, who I am and what I’m doing more generally – but I’m not starting from scratch. I’ve learned things, I’ve made decisions, I’ve gotten somewhat older and hopefully a little bit wiser. I’m returning, but I’m not repeating.

Comments